Housing and Homelessness

Trans* people are at higher risk of becoming homeless or vulnerably housed. There are many organisations which work with vulnerably housed and homeless people which should be able to help.

Some LGBT specific organisations are:

The Albert Kennedy Trust support LGBTI people under 25 who are homeless, vulnerably housed, or in crisis. They operate in London, Manchester, and Newcastle.

Stonewall Housing offer housing advice and supported housing to LGBT people. You can call them for advice on 020 7359 5767.

LGBT Jigsaw – housing support in London

ROAR – housing (and other support) for LGBT people affected by domestic abuse in London. Call 0207 3546312 or 07908514748.

Beyond the above services, there are some informal groups which might help you link up with likeminded people for house-shares. Please be careful when using these groups to find prospective house-mates.

Homes for Queers (North)
Homes for Queers (South)

Transgender Housing Network (International)


Seven things you need to know if you’re rough sleeping or homeless. (Adapted from a Stonewall Housing leaflet):

1. Having ID like a passport or driving licence can help prove who you are and speed up access to services. If you have changed your name, it would be useful to keep a copy of your deed poll handy. Not having ID will still mean you can access services but it might take longer.

2. Registering with the council homelessness service is useful. They can do an assessment to see if they can help you, provide advice and signpost you to other organisations.

3. Find local support services. There might be trans / LGBT specific services in your area which offer listening services, practical support, and advice.

4. Your local council will have a list of day centres. You should be able to clean your clothes, get free food, and have a wash there.

5. Get a “care of” address. This might be with a friend, a hostel, or a particular service (such as a homelessness service, or your LGBT centre). You will need an address to get benefits including housing benefit which will help you pay for accommodation.

6. Some areas operate a No Second Night Out service for people who are new to rough sleeping. They can come and meet you for a chat.

7. Look after your health. You should be able to get free health checks from GPs. Should you have any problems with GPs being transphobic, get in touch and Action for Trans Health can help support you in making a complaint.

One Reply to “Housing and Homelessness”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *